Wednesday 14 December 2011

Cinematography Inspiration

I have decided, as cinematographer, to look at films which are aimed at the same target audience as 'Flight'. From doing so, I can hope to see some productions that may inspire my own project.

Fish Tank
The first film I decided to look at was 'Fish Tank' by Andrea Arnold. It focuses on the aspirations of a young girl who wants to be a dancer. I decided to look at this film as it focused heavily on the protagonist's aspirations and also has a large theme of nature. 


I thought that this shot of Mia was effective, as it uses a mixture of light to portray meaning. I like the orange urban light that hints at a homely feel, yet also shows that the film is set in an urban area. I also like how the shot is positioned, as the audience's attention is immediately drawn to Mia, showing that she is a central character within the narrative. I will use a similar technique in the bedroom sequence of my own film to ensure that the audience know who the main character of my short film is.


I also felt that this shot is effective. The close up used really engages the audience, and makes it clear that nature is a large theme within the production. It is also used as an eye-line match, meaning that the audience get to connect with Mia on a deeper level, understanding how beautiful yet simplistic nature can be. I desire to include a shot similar to this in 'Flight', as I feel that it will be effective in making the feel look visually appealing.


The lighting used in this shot is very effective. This is because it makes the two characters shown - Mia and Connor - almost look like silhouettes. This represents a lack of identity, which is a large part of the narrative of 'Flight'. However, I think that the shot would be more effective in my own production if it was used in regards to Sophie's dancing, showing that she feels as her only form of identity is her dancing career. I also like the positioning of the two characters within the frame, as it shows the distance between them. I will use this method in 'Flight' between Sophie and the drug dealer, suggesting a sense of unease between the two.


Finally, this shot looked visually appealing to me as I thought that the mix of urban settings and nature was very effective and involving. The colours used also compliment each other well, using a mix of dark greys and blues mixed with oranges and dark greens. I will use scenes with similar colours within 'Flight' to make the film look appealing and to show the contrast in the main character's lifestyle.

Black Swan
Black Swan, directed by Darren Aronofsky, focuses around the struggles of a dancer, and the stressful lifestyle which many dancers lead. I felt that this was perfect in terms of narrative, to compare with my own production, and thought that it was likely that I would find some inspiration for the cinematography of my own film.


I liked this shot in 'Black Swan' as it makes use of the mirrors in the dance studio. I also like how the colours of the ballet studio are quite dull and dreary, which seems to be a theme which runs throughout the film. As much of 'Flight' will be filmed in a dance studio, I thought that this reflected the serious tone of the film well. Due to this being effective, I have decided that a lot of the dance studio sequence within my own production should feature colours similar to the ones depicted above.



 I came across this scene within 'Black Swan' and found it rather appealing in terms of the camera-work. I like the numerous close ups which are used, as they show just how determined the main character of the film is to pursue her ambitions. I also like how the shots switch between the dancer's point of view, and the onlookers, as it adds a sense of distortion to the scene. It also allows the audience to see the dancer's emotions, and the struggle which she has to contend with whilst dancing. I like how the camera spins quickly, distorting the audience for a few seconds. I will consider using this technique within 'Flight' as I like the sense of distortion which is portrayed, which gives an insight into the lives of the character. I also think that the colours used in the scene (as mentioned above) are effective, as there is no sense of comfort within the setting.  I think that the long, slow cuts at the beginning of the clip are used to good effect, especially when contrasted to the quick, short cuts towards the end, hinting at a sense of urgency for the character.


No comments:

Post a Comment