Thursday 29 September 2011

How has analysing short films inspired my own production?

Analysing short films has greatly helped me gather inspiration for my own short film. Each frame must carefully be set up to portray meaning to the audience, and be visually appealing to the eye. Sound and editing also have to be taken into consideration, as to give the short film a professional-looking appeal.

From analysing the short film 'Heart Work', it is evident that it is important to portray the protagonist of the film, Sophie, in a light which portrays her personality. Her costume is an vital part of this. It may also be a good idea to show Sophie using something like an iPod or a phone, as this will show her age group. 'Heart Work' also uses camera movement to effect. Seeing as my short film will be focusing on the usage of drugs, this may be a good technique to use. Camera movement distorts the audience, and allows them to empathize with how the characters are feeling. Lighting in 'Heart Work' is also used to portray meaning. There is a direct contrast between the lighting of the train station and the lighting of the urban area. The lighting portrays safety in one scene, and has the opposite effect in another. In my short film I will use the lighting in the ballet studio to portray safety, and the dim lighting of the street to unsettle the audience.

The analysis of 'Loved On Water' was very useful to my own production. The short film used sound to great effect. Throughout the short film the sounds of the ocean can be heard. This gives the audience a preferred reading, and makes them feel calm as the events on screen play out. For my own short film I will also use sound to portray a preferred reading. There will be one setting in a confined alleyway. The sound I will use here will be low, tension-building music. This short film also uses colour for effect. It uses cold, harsh colours (bright white and dull blue) which coincides with the shots of the sea. This continuality makes the audience feel more involved in the narrative. I will consider using this technique in my own production. Throughout 'Loved On Water' there are sound bridges. These sounds carry over two scenes, and ease them gently into one another. This is a good way of keeping the audience involved in the action which they are seeing on screen.

Both 'Heart Work' and 'Loved On Water' do not reveal the identity of the characters for a short while. I will do this in my own production. The film will begin by showing Sophie dancing, yet the audience will only see fragments of her body. This keeps the audience interested, as they will not know the identity of the protagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment